Contractor Direct Rebate Option
The SoCal Water$mart Program provides screened and approved contractors with the ability to receive rebate payments directly for installations of eligible products. It's a quick and easy process:
- 1. Meet the requirements
Make sure your company meets the Contractor Direct Rebate Option requirements.
- 2. Fill out the Enrollment Application
Download, fill out, and return the application along with all required documentation to the program administrators.
- 3. Multi-Unit Installations
All projects installing indoor plumbing devices in 5 or more units must submit a Multi-Unit Tracking Sheet with their final application. The Multi-Unit Tracking Sheet (and all additional sheets as needed) must be signed by the customer (or their agent) certifying their correctness prior to submission by the contractor for the rebate. Contractors submitting supporting documentation – including Multi-Unit Tracking Sheets, applications, invoices, etc – found to have inconsistent, conflicting or incorrect information may risk being suspended or dropped from participation in the Contractor Direct Payment Option.
- 4. Have Your Customers Sign the Release Form
Contractors negotiate payment with the customer for a SoCal Water$mart qualifying project, deducting the SoCal Water$mart rebate amount from the customer's total payment. Turf removal applications under the Contractor Direct Rebate Option must contain a copy of the customer release form as well as a copy of the project bid or proposal, in addition to all other required information as noted in the application. NOTE: All release forms must contain an original customer signature. Digital signatures will not be allowed.
Contractor Direct Rebate Option Requirements
Participating contractors must adhere to all of the following requirements:
- Maintain either an active general contractor's license or an active contractor license covering the type of work required to install the qualified measures eligible for rebates through the SoCal Water$mart Program.
- Be in business for a minimum of 3 years
- Maintain active Commercial General Liability and California Statutory Workers' Compensation Insurance
- Submit a completed and signed IRS Form W-9.
- Have no unsolved customer complaints on file with Metropolitan Water District of Southern California (MWD) or SoCal Water$mart participating water utilities, or any other California public agency, and have a satisfactory or better rating with the Better Business Bureau.
- Submit at least four (4) eligible rebate applications as the installing contractor per program year to remain in the program beyond year one.
- Update company enrollment information annually. You may be dropped from the program should any company information included on the Enrollment Application or on file be found incorrect or invalid.
Terms & Conditions:
- Contractors participating in the Contractor Direct Rebate Option will be issued an IRS Form 1099 for total rebates and incentives received in excess of $600 in a calendar year, unless the company is exempt. Metropolitan Water District of Southern California or SoCal Water$mart participating water utilities are not responsible for any taxes imposed upon Contractor's business as a result of receipt of rebates.
- All SoCal Water$mart applications are subject to inspection and verification. MWD reserves the right to contact any residential or commercial customer regarding any application.
- In order to receive payment directly the rebate application must be accompanied by a signed Contractor Direct Rebate Option Customer Release Form acknowledging customer authorization to release their rebate to the contractor.
- Contractor acknowledges and agrees that participation in the Contractor Direct Rebate Option is at MWD's sole discretion. Metropolitan Water District of Southern California reserves the right without limitation to deny companies enrollment or re-enrollment in the program.
- Contractor agrees to act and represent its business as an independent contractor and at no time will Contractor or any of the Contractor's employees represent its business as an employee, agent, partner or representative of MWD or the SoCal Water$mart participating water utility. Contractor has no right or power to bind MWD or act on its behalf when dealing with customers or third parties.
- Contractor understands that MWD is not endorsing Contractor's business, or warranting or endorsing any equipment that may be sold by the Contractor. Under no circumstances shall MWD be liable to the Contractor for any direct or indirect losses, costs or damages arising from or related to any equipment or installation under the program.
- Contractor's participation in the Contractor Direct Rebate Option, and provision of the rebate is voluntary and at the sole discretion and risk of the Contractor. The provision of work or services to the customer does not guarantee payment of a rebate to the contractor by Metropolitan Water District of Southern California or SoCal Water$mart participating water utilities.
- Funds are limited and contractors may receive direct payments only for applications associated with confirmed reservations, which shall be are processed on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Metropolitan reserves the right to drop any Contractor from the Contractor Direct Rebate Option for reasonable cause, and determination of reasonable cause is within the sole discretion of Metropolitan. The Contractor Direct Rebate Option is subject to change and may end without advanced notice.
- The SoCal Water$mart Program is subject to change and may end without advanced notice.
Customer Release Form Process
- Contractor negotiates payment with their customer for a SoCal Water$mart qualifying project, deducting the SoCal Water $mart rebate amount from the customer's total payment.
- Commercial projects only: A rebate reservation request must be submitted online for the project.
- Contractor completes the project and the completed rebate application and supporting documentation are submitted along with a signed rebate payment customer release form, to SoCal Water$mart. Note: All release forms must contain an original customer signature. Digital signatures will not be allowed.
- Upon verification and approval of the rebate application, the SoCal Water$mart rebate check is made out and mailed directly to the Contractor.
Commercial and Residential Customers are eligible to participate in SoCal Water$mart if you are:
- A current commercial/residential customer within Metropolitan Water District of Southern California (MWD) service area AND;
- Installing qualifying water-efficient products or equipment in a non-residential space with an active water account(s) for commercial customers, OR;
- Installing qualifying water-efficient products or equipment in a residential dwelling used as the occupants' primary residence AND;
- Have not previously received a rebate from MWD or other water agencies for the same device(s) or device type.
Property Managers are eligible to participate in SoCal Water$mart if:
- The Property Owner meets the eligibility requirements for the applicable SoCal Water$mart Program AND;
- You are acting on behalf of the Property Owner and can provide sufficient documentation to ensure that your firm has a current agreement with the Property Owner.